Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"How Times Change"


When I was young, my gram told me several stories about how things were back in the "olden days". One time she told me how back in the late 20's/early 30's, she used to cook for the prisoners being held at the jail, which was under the old courthouse in Lake George (Caldwell). She told me how she used to peel and cook up 50lbs. of potatoes for one meal!
When she was still in school, she used to do housework for the Jewish families, that vacationed at Fourth Lake every Summer. The kids there used to call her "Rite", because they had a hard time pronouncing her name, which was Marguerite. She bragged whole heartedly about how she made fourty dollars for the whole Summer, which she used to buy all her school supplies and clothing, and still have enough left over to treat herself to some candy! Boy, how I miss my Gram! She loved us unconditionally, and had a profound influence on who I am as a person today!

No comments:

Post a Comment